Friday, October 28, 2011

Friend Finder = Success!

After being in Sing a couple of weeks... I decided the time had come to place a personal ad. NO, not one of those... Blake is still my main man! ;) But, I was starving for female gal pals and decided to try my luck on the Singapore expat forums. I posted a simple ad including my age, gender, and what I was seeking and pressed submit... I will admit I seriously was nervous that I might not get any replies! Blake, of course, was a bit surprised when I did tell him I posted online looking for friends. Then, he became even more nervous when I got replies... I think he was picturing ninja weapon yielding women out to capture unsuspecting expat wives at the coffee shop!! So, I finally agreed to meet with a young woman and had Blake on speed dial (just in case).

Day of Friend-Date... Score: 0-0
Blake has phoned twice... I haven't even arrived for my "date" and I think he is more nervous than I am. I have been instructed by Blake that if she looks weird, to turn and walk away like I am not the American she is meeting... (because there are so many of us here...). LOL. I arrived to the public coffee shop (very important of all blind dates... public place for eye-witnesses, should you need them in the future...) and to my surprise a pleasant young woman was waiting for me. As I introduced myself, I immediately began to relax... She is normal! You can meet people online that aren't trying to get you!! We ordered coffee and settled into a nice conversation as my cell began to ring... Blake. So, in the best code lingo possible, I explained to him over the phone that she was pleasant, not trying to sell my anything, and not an axe murderer. Success! We were able to compare stories of Singy and she provided me with loads of information. I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and celebrated my first success at online friend dating!

1-0... Why not go for 2-0??
With one under my belt and my bravery growing by the minute... I decided to try my hand at another blind friend-date! So, I responded to another post on my personal ad and set a time and place for coffee and a movie. My new friend would turn out to be a delightful woman from the UK named Sharon. She, like me, has moved here for her husband's job and is need of a friend to run around with. Sharon and I met at a coffee shop near Sentosa Island and like before... Blake called in the middle of the meeting... gotta love him! I think Sharon knew right away what he called for, because her husband text her right after that. Well, at least we know the boys love us and care for our safety this much!! :) We enjoyed a cup of coffee and proceeded to see the movie "One Day." Wonderful afternoon and we have stayed close since. I love listening to her accent and like to pretend she enjoys listening to my somewhat Texas accent as well! :)

Another win in my friend book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment