Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Randomness and Rants About Singy

This is what happens when Blake is tired of taking pictures... :)
He is going to kill me for posting this one... haha.

Randomness about Singy...

1. When you go to the movies, you choose your seat when you buy your ticket. Pretty neat actually! You never have to worry that there will not be a seat when you are buying your popcorn. Also, popcorn comes in two flavors: salty or sweet. There is no butter... but, the salted popcorn is pretty good.

2. Eggs are not in a chiller at the grocery store. They are just sitting on the shelf... and, they are not clean. I have to wash off the feathers and poop other stuff when I get home. Yuck.

3. Chickens sold in the grocery store are packaged two ways: with head and feet or without head and feet. You will only buy the wrong one once and then you pay very close attention...

4. "Happy Hour" here is called "Crazy Hours."

5. When you meet someone, the first two questions you usually get are "where are you from?" and "how long have you been/will you be here?" It has gotten to the point that we just blurt it out before they ask. Shop salesman always try to have you stop in their store by asking where you are from... Blake loves to tell them that we are from Singapore and are Singaporean. It stumps them every time... lol.

6. There is a small step down into the bathroom or into the kitchen. No big deal right?! Until, you forget when you are coming out of the bathroom and kitchen... Luckily, no broken toes, yet.

7. In order to work/live in Singapore, you must have a work pass and/or a dependent's pass. This looks like a driver's license and allows you to open a bank account, get a cell phone, etc. The primary advantage to the pass is when you are going through customs at the airport... you get to go in the Singaporean resident line! Hey, it's all about the little things... :)

8. If you go to Starbuck's at 9:00am, they will still be CLOSED. Been there, done that! Same goes for the grocery stores. Nothing opens until 10 or 10:30am at the earliest! Craziness.

9. "Daiso" is a store in Singapore that is the Japanese equivalent to the dollar store... except, everything is $2. So, in this store, they were recently selling gloves. I thought that was pretty random considering it is about 85-90 degrees outside year round. Everyone was buying them like they were a novelty item. lol.

10. Standard sized paper is not 8 1/2 x 11. It is longer by about an inch or so... WHY? I still don't know.

11. The date is always written in (day, month, year) format... You try figuring out expiration dates quickly when you are used to (month, day, year) format.


Rants about Singy...

1.  There are no electric outlets in the bathrooms. To men, this does not matter. To women, this is the end of the world!! I have to blow-dry/curl my hair in the bedroom. Again, men... you will never understand the severity of this issue.

2. When you are checking out at the grocery store (or anywhere...) and you hand them your credit card, they hold on to it until the end of the transaction. In the US, they swipe it and then hand it back to you... this works better because you have time to put it away and gather up your purchases. Here, they hold onto it like ransom until the end of the transaction. Then, they hand the card back with your receipt. At this point, you are juggling to put away your card, stash your receipt somewhere, and move out of the way of the person behind you who is elbowing you in the back. Which leads me to the next one...

3. Personal space. It does not exist here. Your space is their space and vice versa.

4. Getting in the "queue," or line, and then having people cut in front of you like you do not exist. If you do not say anything... they will continue you do it. I have become very blunt. :)

5. No garbage disposals. I have not met anyone that has a garbage disposal in their home here. Quite annoying... On a positive note: I do have a dishwasher and oven. Which apparently are not always standard in homes here.

6. Men do not know the meaning of chivalry here. Men do not open the door for women, let them go ahead of them, or allow them to take their seat on the bus or subway. I was so accustom to the ways of southern gentlemen, this was a major shock for me in the beginning. Blake always offers his seat to a lady when we are on the bus or subway... reason number 1,000,001 why I married him. :)

7. Talk radio is annoying. Blake thinks the disc jockeys talk like children.

8. Personal hygiene in public. It is not uncommon to see someone picking their nose.

9. When you ask them a question, instead of replying "yes" they will reply "can."
Example- Me : "Would you mind calling me a cab?"                                                                                   Response: "Can."
This annoys an English teacher beyond belief...

10. Groceries are crazy expensive. Seriously, I doubt Blake and I will complain about the cost of groceries again. I spend an average of $250 a week on groceries (for two people) and that is excluding meals out on the weekends!

Case in point!
S$12.35 for crescent rolls or S$13.25 for cinnamon rolls.
No, I did not purchase them.

Okay, I am done venting for now!! 
Back to being happy for the opportunity to live in a foreign country. :) 


Coming up:
  • I am really behind on the blog... but, will hopefully post pictures of our trips to Cambodia and Vietnam soon.
  • I met a new friend on the Sentosa Cove resident bus from Philadelphia. We are going to the movies tomorrow. :)
  • Blake and I are heading to Jakarta, Indonesia this weekend to go shopping for teak furniture.
  • Mom and Dad are coming to visit soon and I CAN'T WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment